Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Hope of Jeremiah

After watching the movie "Jeremiah" last night starring Patrick Dempsey (good movie by the way), it made me want to go search through Jeremiah and see what I had missed in my initial reading of it. It seems the scriptures just make more sense to me since being Torah Observant and I'm able to actually connect the dots instead of just saying to myself, 'huh'?
Going through Jeremiah I read commentary about the 'New Covenant'. Yes, the same 'New Covenant' we have all come to understand with YESHUA's death and resurrection. Right there in Jeremiah 33:31 - 34:
"Behold, the days are coming, says Adonai, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah - not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says Adonai: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their Elohim, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Adonai, for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says Adonai. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more".
Jeremiah was preaching of the coming of YESHUA and the renewed covenant with his people. In fact, Peter who is believed to have wrote Hebrews was actually quoting Jeremiah when he said in 8:7 - 12 the exact same thing, 'that the new covenant would be written on our hearts and mind and that we would keep His laws and He would be our Elohim and we His people'.
This is an important point for 2 reasons: First, Jeremiah was prophesying of the coming of YESHUA and that 'His laws' would be written on our hearts and we would keep them out of love for our Father. What were His laws, the Torah!  In Jeremiah's time there were no other heavenly laws except the Torah, the instruction for life, and they were suppose to live it out everyday, and it is those laws, the Torah, that he prophesied would be written on our hearts.  Secondly, now fast forward to Hebrews (Peter) who is quoting Jeremiah.  Peter is saying the exact same thing, that the Torah would be written on our hearts and we would live out this life according to our Father's instructions, not our own.

When two parties make a covenant or in today's terms when two countries make a treaty, when one of the parties doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, the covenant becomes null and void.  To that end Jeremiah was watching first hand the idolatrous ways the house of Judah had become, just the same as the house of Israel, the Northern Tribes, had become and had been expelled from the land.  Jeremiah was watching the same thing happening to Judah.  However, as Jeremiah prophesied, that once broken covenant would be restored with the same terms, only that we do them out of love, and that would allow His people to enter the land again.  Through the death and resurrection of YESHUA we have achieved grace in our Father's eyes, and that last and perfect sacrifice which signifies the beginning of the 'New Covenant' means we are to live out His laws, to keep His feasts, and to remember His ways, each day, not our own.

Keep seeking truth and understanding, may Elohim bless you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment