Saturday, February 12, 2011

How Do We Love Our Elohim?

I am married and I love my husband.  On our wedding day we both agreed to our marriage covenant and all its rules and restrictions.  There are things that are expected from both of us.  If he does his part and I don't do my part then our marriage will not go well.   If I do not love him the way he needs to be loved but if I decide what he needs without listening to him then I do not truly love him, I am being selfish.

Over the years I have come to realize I do not like household items for gifts.  I do not wish to receive a vacuum cleaner as a gift for me.   It is a not something that shows that my husband has been listening to me.  I am a chocolates, jewelry, flowers and cards kind of woman.  I want him to listen to me when I talk and hear of things that my heart holds dear and buy me a gift that goes along with my interests.  And that goes the same for me.  If my husband talks about golfing and goes golfing but I always buy him hunting supplies, which he is not a hunter, then my heart has not been in tune to his.  I am loving him my way, not how he has asked me.  It is a two way street that we both have to walk.  I do for him and he does for me. I want to love him how he wants to be loved. 

That is the same way it is with our covenant with our Elohim.  My marriage to my husband is a copy of the marriage covenant to our Elohim.  I am to love Him how he has told me to love Him.  If I go against His ways that He has given in the Bible, how He has asked me to love Him, then I am not listening to Him.  I am not in tune with Him.  I am loving Him my way.  And as we know in marriage that does not go well.  When the Israelites agreed to the Commandments at the foot of the Mountain.  They were coming into a marriage covenant. His was their Elohim and they were to be His people.  He would do for them and they would do for Him.  Give and take.  In Deuteronomy 6 it says:

Deu 6:1
Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
Deu 6:2
That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
Deu 6:3Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
Deu 6:4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
Deu 6:5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:  

Verse 5 says "love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."


I believe Yeshua quoted that in the New Testament.  Remember He is Yahweh, he repeatedly said that They are One.  He only says what the Father says.  The Father's Words are in the Old Testament. The New Testament wasn't written until twenty and more years later.  So the only Words that are quoted in all the New Testament are from the Old.  Verse 6 "shall be in thine heart."  They were to write them on their heart.  So how were they to love Him?  By keeping his commandments, statutes, etc.  "If you love me, keep my commandments." Joh 14:15.  What commandments?  Old Testament commandments.  They are His instructions for righteousness. 


Deu 11:13

And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,

1Jn 3:16 By this we have known love, because He laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
1Jn 3:17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his tender affections from him, how does the love of Elohim stay in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.  
Quoted from Deut. 15:7-11. 

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Quoted from Deut 6:5.

His instructions for righteousness.  That is what the Torah is about, how to love Him and love our neighbor.  Just like we have the laws of this country.  If we abide in these laws it keeps us on the path. If we break the law of speeding and you are pulled over and the cop lets you off the hook.  Does that mean you go off and speed again?  No, you have been given grace and therefore you should drive off with the heart of obeying. 

What amazes me is so many people have been engrained with "we don't have to keep the law". But have you ever sat down and read the them? They are beautiful.  The Way for His people to live, a path.  When we keep them it shows that we love Him.  Just like when my husband asks something of me.  With all my heart I try to do it to his requirements, what he has asked, because he loves me and I love him.  We need to love our Father, to His requirements, how he has asked.

Deu 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
Deu 10:13 To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good.

Written by:  Jana D. Pindell

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I like how you show how love is our motivation to please God. It really points out the differnce between an arranged marriage where one is forced to follow the rules of fidelity and honor, and a love marriage where you choose to love someone and please them not because you have to but because you love them an as a result want to. It is the greatest part of the gift of salvation by grace. The freedom bought and paid for by the blood of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,

    Yes, we are saved by Grace, but you missed the point of the post. But because we love Him we keep His commandments that are written on our hearts. If your wife or husband after marriage sat around and did nothing, but expected everything from you. Well, she/he is being selfish and the marriage would end in divorce, the exact reason He divorced the House of Israel (Ten Tribes). They were serving Him the way they wanted to. Just like the church today. The Torah is our wisdom and understanding (Deut.4:6). When the commandments were given to the Israelites they said, "we will hear and do." They didn't say we will hear and question, or hear and think about it, or hear and do it our way. No, they said "hear and do". That is how we are to be. Hear His Commandments and do them. We are to be obedient to His Word. That is why we are told in Proverbs 4:7 to get wisdom and with all thy getting get understanding. If you don't keep Torah, you won't receive wisdom and understanding. My heart is that you will hear and do. Then the blinders can be removed from your eyes and you can also see the 7/8 of the bible that you gloss over when you read. Because you can read the bible all you want, but if you don't live it, it is just another coffee table book.

    ReplyDelete