Monday, September 26, 2011

No Knowledge of Good and Evil

I like to read the articles on Aish.com, Chabad.org, and Myjewishlearning.com.  The Jewish people have a lot to teach us Gentiles.  I have learned so much from theses websites.  So as usual I was reading an article(http://www.myjewishlearning.com/texts/Bible/Weekly_Torah_Portion/dvarim_summary.shtml) on how Moses was recounting the forty years in the wilderness and encouraging the Israelites in the upcoming conquest in the land of Canaan.  Well, I say I was reading but really just scanning.  Then I got down to the bottom of the page and the author had written some questions for discussion.  And this is what caught my eye.  1) Why would God want children "who have no knowledge of good and evil" to inherit the promised land? Is ignorance better than knowledge? Is knowledge of good and evil necessary to make good choices? Why or why not?

So of course now I go back up to the top of the article and actually read it.  Then half way down this is what it says.
"So God became angry with you and swore that no man among this evil generation would see the good land that God promised to your fathers. Only Caleb, son of Yefunneh and Joshua, son of Nun, shall see it because they have acted faithfully towards God. God said it would be your children, whom have no knowledge of good and evil, who shall inherit this land. But you, you shall wander in the wilderness. Now lately a lot of has crossed my path about the Tree of Life and the The Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.  So I emailed the author Nancy Reuben.  I explained that I understand that the tree of knowledge of good and evil bears no fruit but would like to hear her understanding.  And she emailed me back her perspective:
The knowledge of good and evil is from the tree that bears no fruit.

"Bearing no fruit" meaning -

best to know what is good in God's eyes and practice that only.

When you know good AND EVIL you constantly have to make a choice

so knowing good, doing good and for sure you will get good fruit.

So, what is good in His eyes?  Torah. Eat of the Tree of Life and produce good fruit. 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment